Last weekend I scooped up armfuls of summer squash from Whole Food because they are one of those veggies that seem to easily accompany all the summer meals. When Tuesday came around, I was craving Mexican and that is when this casserole became a thing. It is grain free but the squash seeds give it a texture similar to rice.
For taco seasoning, I used my preservative free, migraine friendly recipe which you can find here
2 Pounds ground beef
4 Summer squash (8 cups chopped)
2 Jalapeno peppers
1 Cup chopped shallots
1/2 Cup sliced scallions (about 3 stalks)
6-8 Garlic cloves
2.5 Cups cherry tomatoes
1 cup water
6 TBSP Taco Seasoning
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Cups shredded organic cheese (*Optional)
Preheat oven to 325
Prep your veggies: Chop squash, seed and dice the jalapeno peppers. Chop shallots and scallions. Dice garlic and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Brown ground beef and set aside
- Heat 2 TBSP of Olive Oil in a large pot on medium
- Cook squash, jalepeno peppers, shallots, 1/2 of the scallions, garlic, tomatoes, water and taco seasoning in the pot until soft (~ 15/20 minutes)
- Once vegetables are soft, add ground beef and stir the ingredients well
- If you are using cheese, add 1 cup and stir
- Pour into a casserole dish
- Top with remaining cheese and scallions
- Bake at 325 for 10 minutes
This meal is compliant with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. If you omit the cheese this is a Paleo compliant dish too.
I hope you love it as much as we did!